Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Best Hot Chocolate in the World



On a cold wintery day like today, nothing makes me happier than a proper cup of hot chocolate. I used to think a decent hot chocolate meant adding the contents of a fancy packet into a hot cup of milk. Boy was I wrong. I didn't even know the joy of good hot chocolate until I walked into the doors of Angelina's patisserie in Paris, France. At Angelina's, un chocolate, meant you get a petite pitcher of an ooey warm, pudding-like liquid served with a bowl of fresh whipped cream. This was not your watered down powdery drink. Drinking it required a spoon. Tasting it was like a mudslide of warm, rich, thick bitter-sweet chocolate heaven in your mouth. You could die happy and not regret a thing in your life. Angelina's is famous for their chocolate l'Africain. As if the whipped cream wasn't enough, I had to order one of their baked pastries. Needless to say, a place that makes hot chocolate this good also knows how to bake sweet breads. I tried a braided raisin roll. It was to...die...for. Light and buttery goodness. I broke off a piece of the roll, dipped it in the chocolate, and I swore I wanted to move to Paris just to experience this everyday. Angelina's also serves tea, but really, what is the point? You gotta have the hot chocolate at Angelina's.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Would it be appropriate for a romantic thing?? Please tell me, littlegastonomer, will Angelina's hot chocolate get me laid??

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.