Friday, June 27, 2008

French Macaroons at Figaro Cafe


I've never met a cookie I didn't like. But if I had to pick my favorite cookie, a French macaroon would be at the top of the list. I became obsessed with these delicate delectables on a trip to France. Macaroons are a staple of French bakeries. They have a brittle outside shell and a soft gooey inside with some type of flavored jam or creme. It's difficult to find French macaroons in LA. Paulette's Macaroons (www.paulettemacarons.com) specializes in just macaroons and is run by a real French lady. But I found her cookies too overpoweringly sweet. The best roons I've had in LA are at a neighborhood brasserie and bakery in Los Felis called Figaro Cafe (www.figarobistrot.com). Their macaroons come in pistachio and strawberry and they're delicate and delicious. Figaro also has wonderful traditional pastries like croissants and truffles.

No comments: