Monday, April 18, 2011

Pop Up with Jonathan Waxman

Carbonara carbonara carbonara!  Had to get that out first because it was the most memorable and transformative food I've eaten lately.

Let's back up.  Animal was hosting a pop-up kitchen with Chef Jonathan Waxman of Barbuto fame.  He appeared on Season 1 of Top Chef Masters and was known as the zen master chicken guru.  He was so likable to me with his "if you don't like my food, suck it" attitude.  Yeah judges, suck it.

Waxman has plans to open a LA restaurant soon.  Until then, we wanted to sample his offerings.  We had some incredible moments at this dinner.  The highlights of which were his shaved raw asparagus dish.  So simple, so flavorful.  I am so copying this recipe for future parties.  Our favorite course was the pasta course.  His linguine and clams were amazing.  But the biggest revelation was the carbonara.  It was so smooth, creamy, rich and orgasmic.  I took the first bite, closed my eyes, and I was transported to some Italian movie in my mind.  I was wearing muddy galoshes, riding a bike past farms in the countryside, buying fresh eggs and pork cheeks from a local market.  I was there I tell you!

As high a pinnacle as the carbonara took me, sadly,  I came crashing down when the carnes came out.  The fantasy was over.   The chicken guru disappointed with his proteins.  Dare I say, both the steak and chicken were bland.  Such a let-down.  I guess I can take my own advice and suck it.

The whole dinner was like a final four basketball game.  Lots of ups and downs.  On the edge of my seats until the very end.  But my team lost by one point in the last second.

Sweet Ron enjoying the NV Cremant de Bourgogne Rose

McGrath baby beets, farmer cheese, beet greens and walnut oil

Highlight of the year.  Waxman's pasta dishes.

Spaghetti alla carbonara.  Best pasta I ever ate.

Linguine with clams and mussels and fennel

Niman hangar steak with salsa piccante

The deliciously sweet Tamai tiny tomatoes with basil and wilted Coleman farms kale

Jidori chicken with meyer lemon

blueberry crisp

wall of fame
 

No comments: